To facilitate the development of primary eye and Eye care and improve the availability and accessibility of high quality comprehensive vision services for all.
We are committed to provide comprehensive high quality, high volume eye care with affordable cost at the best satisfaction of patients and continually improve the eye care service.
To raise the standard of education, bring about overall development of the students, encourage them to undertake research in their respective fields and train students in comprehensive eye care that will bring about holistic development of the community.
College of Optometry is established as a constituent unit of PBMA’s H.V.Desai Eye Hospital, Pune with the state – of the art facilities in terms of classroom, spacious OPD, laboratories, and dedicated to creating pool of theoretically sound and professionally skilled man power with human values.
What is Optometry?
Optometry is an independent Vision care science, which covers the examination of human eyes and visual systems required for estimation of errors of refraction, the fitting, manufacturing and supply of optical aids. An Optometrist is a primary health care professional who is institutionally educated and clinically trained in the science of Optometry. Professional education in Optometry is necessary to efficiently manage any optical trade including dispensing of spectacles and contact lenses.
Who is an Optometrist?
An Optometrist is a primary health care professional who is institutionally educated and clinically trained in the art and science of Optometry. Professional education in Optometry is necessary to efficiently manage any optical trade including dispensing of spectacles
- To prepare the students to assist the ophthalmologist in eye institutes, hospitals & primary eye care unit.
- To enable students to estimate refractive errors and dispense glasses.
- To enable students to use common instruments in the (just patients units and perform simple ophthalmic supervision)
- To enable students to participate in eye health promotion activities in the community.
- To enable the learners to teach optometry at a school/college of optometry, enable learners to conduct research in ophthalmic field.
- To enable students to produce and select appropriate optical aids including spectacles and Low Vision devices.
Scope and Career Options
- Assist ophthalmologists in hospital / clinic.
- Practice in optical establishments
- Run optical shop
- Have excellent job opportunities overseas.
- Offer clinical services to multinationals dealing, with the manufacturing and distribution of ophthalmic lenses, contact lenses and ophthalmic instruments.
- Start manufacturing unit for optical lenses.
- For those interested in higher studies Graduation / Post Graduation in the form of fellowships, M.Sc., M. Phil and PhD programs are available.
- Take up teaching Optometry as a career.
The admissions to BSc. Optom. Courses shall be carried out on the basis of the merit as ascertained from Science & Ophthal. Tech & Assist. Diploma Ophthalmic, HSC, PUC Board performance of the candidates in conducted by the University and their respective preference(s) given in application form.
Admission to the Course
- 20 Students will be admitted per year in the first year B. S c Optometry.
- 20 Students will be admitted per year in the first year Diploma in Optometry.
- Only the candidates who have passed l2th science with minimums 50% marks in each science subject will be considered.
- A candidate who has passed course equivalent to 12th (10+2) like Ophthalmic Technician, Ophthalmic Assistant will be considered on a case by case basis. He should have secured 50% marks in the course.
- Forms will be available in the H. V. Desai Eye Hospital from Ist week of May. Completed forms should be submitted within the stipulated date. There will be an entrance examination of 50 marks.
- Students will be called for interview according to the merit list. The admission will be confirmed only after full fees for the first academic year is paid & submission of original certificates.
Duration of Course:
The course will start in July every year and will consist for eight semesters including the practical training. First, Third and Fifth semester will start 1st July and end on 31st December and second semester will start from 1 St January and end on 30th June. Internship one year during that period practice exposure in General, Peadiatric, and subspecialty department.
Renowned Ophthalmologist and Optometrist are available to teach and counselling the students.
- Dr. Kalyani V. K. S
- Dr. K. M .Bharucha
- Dr. Rahul Deshpande
- Dr. Sheetal Dharmadhikari
- Dr. Sucheta Kulkarni
- Dr. Kuldeep Dole
- Dr. Nana Jare
- Dr. Nilesh Kakade
- Dr. Sudhir Taras
- Dr. Ashwini Kesari
- Mr. Mahadev Shegunashi
- Mr. Akshay Sonawane
- Mr. Yogesh Barahate
- Mrs. Maryam Chougle